I’m not a big reader, at all. In fact, it’s taken me six months to get through half of that bleeding French Harry Potter book. Ugh.
I mean, to be fair to me, it is in French. Have you tried reading Harry Potter in French? Have you? Nah, didn’t think so. It’s really hard, k?
Where was I?
Oh yes, I am not a big reader. I like to always be doing things so even while Netflix is on I like to be writing lists or organising things or editing photos or whatever. I don’t tend to just sit and read. Maybe the more I sit and force myself to read, the less I’d need to fidget? I don’t know.
Anyway, while I didn’t mention it in my 16 Things in 2016 post, one of my secret little goals for the year is to try to get into reading more. More than just on trains that don’t have wifi, and more than when I’m caught between beach and dinner on holiday. Ugh, all you readers are all judging me now, aren’t you?
So, I’ve compiled a physical reading list. (I think I think that I’m more compelled to read books if they’re actually in front of me, instead of on my kindle or written on a ‘to read’ list…) My ultimate goal, small as it is, is to have read all of these by the time I head home for good in June. I’m secretly worried – although I have a lot of flights/Eurostar journeys between now and then so we’ll keep our fingers crossed.
1. Harry Potter à l’École des Sorciers
… and in fact, the entire Harry Potter series, if I can. It’s surprisingly tough going. Luckily I know HP like the back of my hand, which helps with having zero idea what’s going on, but it’s really really tough going. I have to really sit and concentrate when I read it, and my pace is hella slow. I’m generally a super fast reader, when I do read, and I’m kinda frustrated at how long it takes me to even read a chapter of this. However, no starting a new book until I’ve finished this one. (I’m currently on 145 of 312…)
2. Bill Bryson’s ‘Notes From A Small Island’
I love Bill Bryson. I love the fact that Durham’s uni library is named after him, I loved his book on Shakespeare, and I generally just love his writing. Clever and easy and funny and just nice. Nice happy writing about interesting things. I love England. I luuurrrrv England. I miss England more than I miss chocolate. I want to sit with a Sports Direct of tea, fairy lights on, reading about home.
3. Ian McEwan’s ‘The Children Act’
My mum recommended and bought this one for me. The blurb tells me its all about a fierce woman, medical drama and religion so I’m pretty sold on it. Pretty much the three things that make my world go round. I absolutely loved Atonement when I read it, so I’m sure this one will be a winner too.
4. Caitlin Moran’s ‘How To Be A Woman’
Do I even need to explain this to you? Like, do you even follow me on twitter? 75% of my tweets are feminist RTs and the other 25% are my own angry rants. I’m a hoot… Seriously though, I’m so so excited to read this. Really bloody excited.
5. Oliver Sacks’ ‘The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat’
This was a random Amazon recommendation that I fell for and bought so this one is all new to me. The blurb says ‘… Sacks recounts the stories of patients lost in the bizarre, apparently incapable world of neurological disorders,’ and that just screams fascinating to me.
6. Barbara Kingsolver’s ‘The Poisonwood Bible’
You’d think, as a Theology student, that I’d be bored with big thick books about religion by now. Not the case. I’m all about them. ALL about them. ‘A fierce evangelical Baptist who takes his family and mission to the Belgian Congo in 1959’? Winner. Definite winner.
What do you have stacked on your reading pile?
Which book do you think I should read first (after HP of course…)?