2017 was definitely a weird year. It went incredibly fast and incredibly slowly at the same time. It shared with me some of the best moment, and also some of the worst. All in all, I’m pretty happy that it’s gone. Done and dusted.
While this post won’t be published for a few days, it’s actually Sunday 31st December right this second. I’m supposed to be getting well into an essay instead of doing this. But my reasoning is that I have an extra few hours today because of the New Year thing at midnight being a bit later than
I pretend I’m normally in bed by my usual bed time.
But, for now, let’s take a closer look at what 2017 put me through…
01. Spending a few days in Marrakech with Ollie in, what I had of, the Easter break. It was so nice to spend some time with him with no responsibilities or work to finish. I took some absolutely gorgeous photos and we just had the most magical time.
02. I graduated with a 2.1 from Durham in Theology and that was pretty cool. The fun of it is kinda ruined a little when you’re one of a thousand graduating that week, but looking back, I’m really proud of my degree. I didn’t take the conventional route through the *four* years and I’m really happy about that.
03. Roadtripping Canada (+Seattle) with my family in the summer and having an absolutely amazing time. Canada is breathtaking, and I can’t recommend Alberta and British Columbia enough. I have some really happy memories from that trip, and some amazing photographs to remember them by.
04. My blog and insta have started to ‘take off’ a little more, and this December I was excited to realise that that month alone I had earned enough to pay my rent through insta and blog collaborations. This is such a big deal for me, as it means that I really feel like I’m started to get somewhere with all my hard work. Blogging is my passion and I’m excited to keep going.
05. Spending time with Ollie’s family in his favourite vacay spot in the UK. I know how important the area is to him, and to share it was really fun and lovely. The Scilly Isles are absolutely beautiful, if anyone is looking for somewhere close to home.
IN 2017 I LEARNED…
01. You can love something as much as possible, but you still need to put the work in to make it a success. My dissertation was an example of this. I loved writing it, and mistook that enthusiasm for hard work. I was wrong, lol.
02. Toxic friendships are very very real and are incredibly difficult to let go of. It’s a necessary evil.
03. Fog lights on cars are actually a real thing and isn’t just the name you give dipped beam when it’s a little bit foggy. I know. I’m ashamed of myself too.
04. Doing an MA isn’t the easy way out of not getting a job after graduation. I’ve never done anything this hard. If I thought I was good at my degree choice, and that I enjoyed it, man I was very wrong. No ragrets tho.
05. That mom jeans are the item of clothing I’ve been missing all my life. So comfy, so forgiving, so easy to style. Two in every colour, please.
THE NUMBERS BIT…
- 1 – festivals attended with thanks to a very kind brand
- 60,000 page views this year
- 120.2k likes on instagram this year
- 56 – the mark I got for my dissertation, uh oh
- 2 – the number of new countries visited this year
- 4 – the number of years that Ollie and I have now had to pretend we like each other in public
A FEW FAVOURITE POSTS
The NYE Bag Of Dreams; Am I Healthy?; The Three Blogging Mistakes I’m Constantly Making; Embracing Me; I’ve Lost A Lot Of Instagram Followers Lately & Here’s Why; Thoughts On Returning To Paris; A Little Parisian Beauty Haul
HERE’S TO 2018…
2018, or ‘this year’ when you’re reading this’ is going to be better. I’m going to chill out more, I’m going to get more done. I’m going to figure out who I am and what my goals are, and how I’m going to get there.
Or… I’m going to do none of those things.
Either way, happy new year to you, and to me. Let’s hope that 2018 is twice the year 2017 was, and twice as happy too. x0